Thursday, June 20, 2013

To Edit or Not to Edit

 photo edit12.png

 photo edit1.png

 photo edit2.png

 photo edit19.png

 photo edit16.png

When I first started blogging, I came face to face with the issue of To Edit or Not To Edit.  It may seem hypocritical, but I decided to edit my shop photos but not those on my blog.  Here's why:

I have always edited my vintage shop photos.  I have some skin issues and the product photos I model in are a form of marketing.  In short: I want my customers focusing on the dress, not my face.  It didn't take me long though, to decide my personal blog was not a place for edited photos.  I don't take these photographs to market anything, I take and share them to express and document my sense of style-- even if (or especially because) it's flawed.  Authenticity is what it comes down to, and I feel that I can't be without exposing my flaws.

I find it funny that as humans we have this instinct to hide our flaws.  It's something I struggled with a lot in my teens, and have overcome mostly through frank openness about my weaknesses.  The reason I find it funny is that once we've exposed our flaws, we usually find ourselves strangely confident-- we no longer need to fear that others will identify our insecurities because we've fully acknowledged them already.  For me, it also boils down to the fact that I don't need to be perfect because the blood of Christ has made that unnecessary.  I can come as I am, bad skin and all.  Jesus loves messy people and I'm pretty glad of that.

I'd love to hear your take on this issue, especially if you have a shop or blog online.



{Peacock Dress} vintage '40's, thrifted
{Lace Tank} worn underneath Target
{MJ Flats} Lulu's
{Stone Bracelet} gift from friend
{Silver Watch} vintage, thrifted
{Steel Necklace} gift from Dad
{Blue Belt} vintage, thrifted

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts and questions, comment away!