Monday, January 23, 2017

Show > Tell



Arriving home last night, from the weekend cap to a two-week-long series of travel, has left me both tired and inspired.  There's something about the chaos that's left in the wake of leaving home, that when returned to, serves as a prompt for fresh starts-- for creating anew. 

That's the mental space that I find myself in today, and it is good.  For two weeks, I have had only my iPad and iPhone to work off of-- while that forced me to be creative, grow in patience and to do without, it has also made returning to my normal resources extremely sweet and gratitude-filled.  Funny how that works, isn't it? I am thankful for this laptop that I currently peck away on, in a way that I wasn't two weeks ago.  How amazing, the way that God uses scarcity to strip away our entitlement.  

Ha!  I may have just called having only iDevices, scarcity.  Clearly, I am not done growing yet.

Boy has it been awhile since I shared an outfit post!  As I gradually lean more towards writing about ethical style, I'm very excited to share that through what I'm actually wearing!

So often when I have conversations with people about dressing more consciously, they seem to see it as a daunting change to make-- this couldn't be further from the truth!  My experience with ethical consumerism has been so positive that I can't help but share it.  I have realized, though, that ethical style is much more effectively shown than simply told. Hence sharing examples like this one, of ethically sourced outfits that I wear in everyday life. I have been so excited to share this scarf specifically, because Jon's parents (so thoughtfully) gave it to me as a gift over Christmas-- and it's Fair Trade!  How they knew that this was important to me, I'll never know, but I was blown away by the sincerity and care reflected in such a gift! :)

Just a note that I want to stress: very much like the post I just wrote about how to start going ethical in the New Year, I totally still own garments that I've bought in the past, or that were given to me as gifts, that don't pass as ethically sourced!  The Cole Haan boots in this picture are a perfect example.  Ethical consumerism is, in my opinion, about the decisions we make now, not about creating more waste out of an item that you actually wear.  I talk more about this here, if you are interested!



D e t a i l s
{scarf} - gift, Grace & Lace
{thermal} - thrifted
{wool skirt} - vintage 40's, via Comet Vintage
{shoes} - Cole Haan, gift
{tights} - Target




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts and questions, comment away!