Sunday, February 16, 2014

One At A Time


It always amazes me that the addition of one new clothing item can expand the potential of my existing wardrobe ten times over.  I've long been pretty discerning about any purchase of clothing, thinking it through, looking at comparable items, etc.  This is in part due to tight purse strings, and part to my overly specific taste.  Either way, I've found that purchasing only one item at a time can have it's merits!

One new color or texture at a time opens my eyes to closet combinations I would have otherwise not seen, and challenges me to wear the new item lots of different ways. That's totally the case with this dark mossy hued skirt that I purchased in December.  I have easily worn it at least 5 different ways so far, and it's addition has brought some of my older clothing pieces back to life!  Seriously, this lavender blouse is from High School and I've only worn it in adulthood one way before this. Not only has this skirt revealed new color pairings, but also has allowed me to play with texture and print too!  I would have at first thought the lace, sugar skull detail to be too busy to pair with anything but simple staples-- boy was I wrong!

Here's to the beauty of one thing at a time.




details
{blouse} - ? High School remnant
{striped tank} - T.J. Maxx
{cardigan} - vintage 50's, thrifted
{skirt} - Rock Steady, ModCloth
{tights} - ModCloth
{boots} - Steve Madden, Nordstrom
{necklace} - gift, My Selvaged Life


2 comments:

  1. What a great outfit! I love the printed skirt with the striped shirt and then patterned cardigan combination. So many fun things going on there.
    I like what you said about buying one thing at a time. I sew often, so my wardrobe gains a new addition ever couple of weeks. Weather it be small or a whole outfit, mixing old with new is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lady! That's awesome that you sew, I do too but not as much as I'd like. I'll have to watch your blog for some handmade goodness! :)

      Delete

I love to hear your thoughts and questions, comment away!